A while ago I visited the Wehkamp.nl HQ and got a tour around their photostudio a saw several settings they worked on. What really caught my eye was the ‘interior product-plus-photography’ where I got a introduction by the (interior) stylist Malou and I really wanted to hear more from her. That’s why I did a quick Q&A with her to get to know more about her and the view on interior.
Tell more about yourself… What do you do at Wehkamp? How does the perfect interior looks like? What are your interior tips for this summer?
I didn’t know I would love it so much!
My name is Malou Franssen and I always was interested in fashion, so that’s why I went to the Art Academy and studied fashion design. After this I got offered a job as a designer for a jeans label in the south of France, but in the end it wasn’t something I was looking for. A few years later I worked for several magazine as a freelancer and got offered some commercial jobs like working for wehkamp.nl. For years I worked as a stylist for kids fashion and travelled to Miami, Capetown, San Diego and other beautiful cities for projects in the years Wehkamp still had a catalogue. A few years ago, when they went into an other direction they asked me of I was interested to work on the interiorstyling projects. First, I didn’t wanted to think about it, but in the end I gave it a try. I didn’t know I would love it so much!
I work as a freelancer for Wehkamp.nl and I work on the interior product-plus-photography. This means, that I work with the interior pieces of wehkamp and put them in a setting with minimal styling which makes a bed, couch, closet or garden furniture more attractive for the customer. Of course I also need to keep some guidelines in mind because it creates uniformity in all the pictures without becoming boring. Sometimes I also work on the styling of the 360 lookbooks for video and photography which it makes so much fun to work here.
What’s actually the perfect interior? I like to get inspired by many interior blogs and mostly Scandinavian interiors are my favorite.
1. First, plants are the must have for your interior this summer. Put them all together on a lower table or just on the floor. Also hanging plants give a nice twist to your home.
2. Outside is the new inside. Invest in your garden or balcony and make it your second home. Hopefully we’ll get enough summer days this season.
3. Don’t go for one coffee table but invest in several smaller side tables of different heights which gives it a really interesting look.
4. Decorate a wall with beautiful ceramic plates and scales in subtile colors like pastel, grey and white shades
5. Be creative! Just google ‘DIY interior’ and you’ll get overwhelmed with great ideas.
Tell more about yourself…
What do you do at Wehkamp?
How does the perfect interior looks like?
What are your interior tips for this summer?